Beaufort County Library Logo
Two of the jet fighters on display just outside the main gate of the Marine Corps Air Stattion, Beaufort
Jet fighters outside the main gate of the Marine Corps Air Station, Beaufort, one of the locations for the 1979 film,
The Great Santini.
Movies in
Beaufort County, SC:
When and Where

 

Simple Italianate columns grace Tidalholm's open porches

Part I: Feature Films and Documentaries
Filmed in Beaufort County

by
Dennis Adams
Information Services Coordinator

Tidalholm, setting for The Great Santini and The Big Chill
Photograph by Dennis Adams
(August 7, 2002)

 

NOTE:
Much of the information about movies filmed in Beaufort comes from the anecdotes and recollections of local residents. If you would like to add to the store of knowledge, please contact the administrator of this page at dennisa@bcgov.net, by phone at (843) 470-6505 or by mail at Beaufort County Public Library,
311 Scott Street, Beaufort, SC 29902 (Attention: Dennis Adams).

For a listing of recent films shot in locations throughout South Carolina, visit the South Carolina Film Office Internet Web site (http://www.scfilmoffice.com/).


TABLE OF CONTENTS

PART I:
MOVIES FILMED IN BEAUFORT
(Feature Films & Documentaries)


PART II:
LOCAL MOVIE LORE

"Honorable Mention"
Films About Beaufort ...
But Not Filmed Here


PART III:
TELEVISION PRODUCTIONS & COMMERCIALS
SHOT IN BEAUFORT COUNTY
AND
FILM LOCATIONS IN NEIGHBORING COUNTIES

PLUS
LIST OF SOURCES

Television Shows and TV Movies
Shot in Beaufort County


Television Commercials
Shot in Beaufort County

 


Music Videos

Shot in Beaufort County

Film Locations in
Neighboring Counties

PART I:

MOVIES FILMED IN BEAUFORT
(Feature Films & Documentaries)

The Rise and Fall of the Confederacy
(1917?)
American Feature Films, Inc.

The earliest big-screen production filmed in Beaufort was not a Hollywood project. The studio, American Feature Films, Inc., had its headquarters in Greenville, S. C. Two company representatives arrived in Beaufort in June of 1917 to scout locations for their upcoming epic, The Rise and Fall of the Confederacy. They paid particular attention to sites on St. Helena Island and spoke of moving their winter production studio from Hendersonville, N. C. to the warmer Lowcountry climate of Beaufort for the project.

The "Secession House," Beaufort
Studio scouts would have stopped at the "Secession House" (1113 Craven St.) during their visit in 1917. A plaque in the basement reads, "In this house the first meeting in favor of secession
was held in 1851."

Photograph by Dennis Adams (August 20, 2002)

 

Edward A. Cowles, author of the screenplay, was one of the studio representatives in town. The Beaufort Gazette reported that the project was "said to be a supreme masterpiece of human emotions" and "the most remarkable and stupendous motion picture scenario ever attempted by any dramatist". The Rise and Fall of the Confederacy would begin at the "threshold of Southern secession in Columbia, S. C." and recreate events that ensued throughout the South. American Feature Films announced that their film would be "the greatest, most impressive moving picture since The Birth of a Nation".

In November, the Beaufort city manager received a letter from Mr. Cowles announcing that the entire company of actors would come to town for winter studio work by the end of the month. Many scenes would be shot around the historic homes in the Beaufort area. The studio took its film seriously: earlier in the summer, 32 crates of costumes had arrived in Hendersonville, each containing 20 period costumes. At the same time, a William Cunningham joined the production. Having worked for the Peerless Film Company of Los Angeles, Mr. Cunningham lent a "Hollywood touch" to the project.


The Tara Rumor
(Gone with the Wind, 1939)

A number of visitors have asked Library staff for directions to the site of Tara, the plantation house of the classic film, Gone with the Wind. Contrary to the rumor, Tara was not an actual Lowcountry plantation house near Yemassee, but a studio set built on the MGM Studios production lot for the movie.

No part of Gone with the Wind was ever filmed in Beaufort.

(Anyone looking for a "Beaufort Connection" to Gone with the Wind needs look only to the fictional character of Rhett Butler, however. A Charlestonian blockade runner would surely have known Beaufort society before the Civil War. And he would have been wary of the Union forces of the Department of the South, established here in Beaufort County's sea islands after the Federal occupation of November 1861.)

Commandment Keeper Church,
Beaufort South Carolina, May 1940
(1940)

Zora Neale Hurston (1891-1960) was an African-American novelist, playwright, poet, anthropologist, and folklorist, best known for her novel, Their Eyes Were Watching God. According to Benet's Reader's Encyclopedia of American Literature, she was a luminary of the Harlem Renaissance in the 1920s, along with authors Countee Cullen, Claude McKay, Jean Toomer, James Weldon Johnson and Langston Hughes.

In the spring of 1940, Hurston came to Beaufort, SC. The introduction to Zora Neale Hurston: Novels and Stories said that she came to "research on trances in 'sanctified' churches and other topics" and to help produce a film project led by anthropologist Jane Belo.

Hurston and Belo recorded services at the Commandment Keeper Church in Beaufort, producing 42 minutes of film and about 90 minutes of sound. The audio disks were discovered only in 2002, and have yet to be synchronized with the film. On December 27, 2005, the film Commandment Keeper Church, Beaufort, South Carolina, May 1940 was added to the Library of Congress' National Film Registry. 425 films have been so selected since the Registry began in 1989, for their cultural,

  Grand Army of the Republic Meeting Hall, Beaufort. Simple white facade with black shutters
  The Commandment Keeper Church met in the Grand Army of the Republic Meeting Hall (Prince and Newcastle Streets, Beaufort) in 1940. This structure was built around 1896 as a meeting place for African-American veterans of the Civil War. Photograph by Dennis Adams (May 17, 2006)
   

historical or esthetic importance (for a complete list, see www.loc.gov/film/titles.html).

"Commandment Keepers Church" came home to Beaufort in March of 2006, with two public screenings of the still-silent film in the Grand Army Hall (Prince and Newcastle Streets), where the congregation held services in 1940. Fayth Parks, a faculty member in the College of Education at Georgia Southern University, and Delo Washington, professor emerita of Ethnic and African-American Studies at California State University, presented the film and led a discussion following the showing. On May 10, Parks and Delo brought the film to the Beaufort branch of the Beaufort County Library, with 63 people in attendance.


To Live as a Free Man
(1942?)

This production was mentioned in notes on the container of an audiocassette entitled Spirituals, "recorded at Penn School, St. Helena Island,
S. C. Made in 1942, along with the movie, To Live as a Free Man. These recordings, originally on 78 R. P.M. records, were used as background for the film". The recording is in the collection of
Penn Center (formerly Penn School).
 
Darrah Hall at Penn Center, St. Helena Osland
Darrah Hall (1882), the oldest building
on the Penn School campus.
Photograph by Dennis Adams
(August 13, 2002)


Les Marines
(Date Filmed: June 1957)
Directed and produced by François Reichenbach.

The French documentary was filmed on the Marine Corps Depot at Parris Island and it chronicles the training of recruits at the facility.

Originally entitled Le But ("The Goal" in French, no connection to "The Boot"), Les Marines won prizes in 1958 at the Venice Film Festival and from the French Film Academy (the director received an award of $25,000 from the Academy). Les Marines won the Venice prize over 300 other films in competition.


The Great Santini
(Released 1979; Date Filmed: 1979)
Cast: Robert Duvall, Michael O'Keefe, Blythe Danner, Stan Shaw, and David Keith.
Written and directed by Lewis John Carlino.
Bing Crosby Productions/Orion Pictures Corporation

The Great Santini was based on the novel by Pat Conroy, an author with deep "roots" in Beaufort and the South Carolina Lowcountry.

  • The Meechum family’s gracious marshview home is Tidalholm (1 Laurens Street, a private residence). Tidalholm was built in 1853, and owes its spacious Beaufort style to renovations following the Storm of 1893 (the hurricane had blown the second-floor roof away). The house also was featured later in The Big Chill.
  • Many of the military scenes were filmed on the Marine Corps Air Station (Main Gate at the intersection of U. S. Highway 21 and SC 116). The film crew also "blacked out" the windows of the Air Station gymnasium for the nighttime high school basketball game scene.
    • The scene where Ben Meechum finds his drunken-and-distraught father under the oak tree took place in the open square in "The Point" (bordered by King, Pinckney, Laurens and Short Streets in the Beaufort Historic District). The Tidalholm property is adjacent to the Laurens Street- Short Street corner of the square.
     
    Square in "The Point" with open lawn and live oaks
    Square in "The Point"
    Photograph by Dennis Adams
    (August 15, 2002)

The Big Chill
(Released 1983; Date Filmed: 1983)
Cast: Tom Berenger, Glenn Close, Jeff Goldblum, William Hurt, Kevin Kline, Mary Kay Place, Meg Tilly, JoBeth Williams.
Directed by Lawrence Kasdan.
Carson Productions/Columbia Pictures

  • The central location for The Big Chill -- as for The Great Santini -- was the historic home, Tidalholm. Starring actor Tom Berenger married his wife, Lisa (whom he had met in Beaufort during the filming), on the Tidalholm lawn.
  • The jogging scene (with the "inside trading" dialog) was filmed on Bay Street, Downtown Beaufort.

    The Steamer Restaurant, Lady's Island
    Photograph by Dennis Adams
    (August 13, 2002)

     
    Members of the cast and crew
    enjoyed meals at the Steamer
    Restaurant (168 Sea Island Parkway/Highway 21, Lady’s
    Island), which was also a
    favorite "spot" of The Prince
    of Tides
    star, Nick Nolte.


Daughters of the Dust
(Released 1992; Date Filmed: 1988)
Cast: Cora Lee Day, Alva Rogers
Written and directed by Julie Dash.
Geechee Girls/Samuel Goldwyn Company

Film Critic Roger Ebert wrote about this exultation of Gullah and Sea Island Culture: "Julie Dash's Daughters of the Dust is a tone poem of old memories, a family album in which all of the pictures are taken on the same day. It tells the story of a family of African-Americans who have lived for many years on a Southern offshore island, and of how they come together one day in 1902 to celebrate their ancestors before some of them leave for the North. The film is narrated by a child not yet born, and ancestors already dead also seem to be as present as the living. ... (Dash) makes this many stories about many families, and through it we understand how African-American families persisted against slavery, and tried to be true to their memories."


The three rounded archway windows of Rainey Antiques, Beaufort

Left: Michael Rainey Antiques.
Right:
Side entrance to the
Library’s downstairs meeting room.

Photograph by Dennis Adams
(August 13, 2002)

 
  • The cast and crew of Daughters of the Dust made extensive use of the children's room of the older Beaufort County Public Library (now Michael Rainey Antiques, 702 Craven Street They met to plan filming and other essential aspects of the film production. Library staff provided book and audiovisual materials to the production personnel and offered referrals to other sources of information. This small building, then attached to the Library, later served as an interior set for Something to Talk About ).

  • Reference librarian Dennis Adams translated some of the film's dialogue into French and coached the actor in pronunciation over the telephone. Mr. Adams's contribution was included in the final cut of the film. On another occasion, he played a recording of a ragtime tune over the telephone upon an actor's request.

  • Penn Community Services of the Sea Islands (16 Penn Center Circle West on St. Helena Island) was among several other local agencies assisting the film's production crew and actors.


The Prince of Tides
(Released 1991; Date Filmed: 1990)
Cast: Nick Nolte, Barbra Streisand, Blythe Danner, Kate Nelligan.
Directed by Barbra Streisand.
Barwood/Longfellow/Columbia Pictures

The Prince of Tides was based on the novel by Pat Conroy.

  • Director and star Barbra Streisand stayed at the Rhett House Inn (1009 Craven Street, Downtown Beaufort) during her February 1990 visit to explore filming locations in the area.
  • When filming began in the summer of 1990, the beach scenes (including the beach house sequences) were filmed at Fripp Island.
  • The aerial shots that pan across the marshes in the opening scene are of the Beaufort River (near the J. E. McTeer Bridge, Highway 802).
 
The Former Beaufort Inn
  • The former Bay Street Inn
    (601 Bay Street, Downtown Beaufort) was featured as the home of Tom Wingo’s
    (Nick Nolte) mother.
    Photograph by Dennis Adams
    (August 13, 2002)
  • The interior of the Beaufort County Records Management Department warehouse (end of Depot Road) became the Lowenstein apartment, both the interior and balcony.
  • Barbra Streisand enjoyed the ice cream at Plum's (904 1/2 Bay Street, Downtown Beaufort).

         
    Faded yellow walls and Gothic-arched gateway to the Beaufort Arsenal. The top of the wall beyond the courtyard is crenellated
    Manhattan apartment scenes were filmed
    in the Beaufort Arsenal (713 Craven Street).
    Photograph by Dennis Adams
    (August 13, 2002)
     
    • Star Nick Nolte dined at the Steamer Restaurant (168 Sea Island Parkway/Highway 21, Lady’s Island), to which he sometimes bicycled from downtown Beaufort. The Steamer was a favorite "spot" for the cast of The Big Chill, too.

    • The gymnasium of the Technical College of the Lowcountry (921 Ribaut Road) served as a sound stage for filming the rape scene. Local residents marveled at the several large ventilation tubes coming from inside the gymnasium. Traffic stopped at times on Ribaut Road next to the building to control noise during filming.
  • Barbra Streisand rented the home of Dr. Gene and Beth Grace (509 North Street, Downtown Beaufort; private residence) during the filming. She had a privacy screen erected around the house (which had a swimming pool) and added personal touches to the interior (bathroom carpeting, for example).

The Prince of Tides was filmed also in Charleston County.


Forrest Gump
(Released 1994; Date Filmed: August - October 1993)
Cast: Tom Hanks, Robin Wright, Gary Sinise.
Directed by Robert Zemeckis.

  • The front exterior of the University of South Carolina Beaufort South Campus Performing Arts Center (801 Carteret Street, Downtown Beaufort) was filmed as the Gump Medical Center building that Forrest Gump endowed. This was the same site as for the college campus in Something to Talk About .
 
Entrance to the University of South Carolin Beaufort North Campus' Performing Arts Center
  • Two Beaufort-area bridges along U. S. Highway 21 appeared in Forrest Gump’s transcontinental run. One was the Woods Memorial Bridge (Downtown Beaufort), the other the Chowan Creek bridge between Lady’s Island and St. Helena Island). A sign on the Chowan Creek Bridge read: "Welcome to Mississippi".
  • The house of Bubba’s mother was an existing house (private residence) on Alston Road, Lucy Point Creek (Lady’s Island at the end of Sams Point Road -- Highway 802).
  • The film’s hurricane was simulated on the South Carolina Port Authority docking facility (a restricted-access facility in the town of Port Royal.

  • Marleena Smalls played Bubba's mother (and her Beaufort County Sea Islander singing group, the Hallelujah Singers, were featured in the movie).

  • Capt. Dale Dye, military advisor on the film, was also the advised the production, Rules of Engagement, in 1999.

  • Major scenes were also filmed in neighboring Colleton County, among these:

  • Those in the Gumps’ boarding house, a fully functional house -- with an upstairs bedroom, kitchen, etc. --- built on private property in Colleton County. Because it was not built to code, the structure had to be torn down after filming.

  • The ancient oak tree seen in the film was located on the same property used for the Gump boarding house.

  • The Vietnamese war scene of troops moving through rice patties was filmed on this site as well (It was also on this site where the one sequence was shot showing the troops moving through the rice (mountains and other Indochinese geographical features were "matted" in after filming).

  • The principal's office scene with Forrest as a little boy was filmed at Hampton Elementary School in Walterboro.

  • A Walterboro resident's antique cars were used in some scenes.

Forrest Gump was filmed also in Hampton County.


The War
(Released 1994; Date Filmed: October 1993)

Cast: Elijah Wood, Kevin Costner, Mare Winningham, Lexi Randall
Directed by Jon Avnet.
Avnet-Kerner/Universal Pictures

The enormous branches of the Carolina Shores live oak reach out in every direction
Photograph by Dennis Adams (August 20, 2002)

  • The huge live oak prominent in the film is located at the entrance to Carolina Shores at the end of Carolina Avenue, off Bruce K. Smalls Drive (intersects with U. S. Highway 21 in the Gray's Hill area, past the Marine Corps Air Station). A Beaufort County ordinance was amended to permit the film crew to demolish and remove the road around the oak tree (and to replace the pavement afterwards).

 

The Jungle Book
(Released 1994; Date Filmed: May-June 1994)
Cast: Jason Scott Lee, Cary Elwes, Lena Headey, Sam Neill, John Cleese.
Directed by Stephen Sommers.

  • Lush and subtropical Fripp Island (a residential community built on a barrier island) became Rudyard Kipling's jungles of India for this production.

  • Wardrobe, make-up trailers and a food-service galley made up an operations center near the Fripp Island Marina.

  • Large areas filmed during The Jungle Book were developed into the Davis Love III Golf Course shortly after the production.

The Beaufort-Lowcountry Magazine reported that Fripp Island "afforded an ideal location for jungle scenes on one side of the road and for equipment, van, and food services parking on the other."


Chasers
(Released 1994)
Cast: Tom Berenger, William McNamara, Erika Eleniak, Crispin Glover, Dean Stockwell, Gary Busey, Seymour Cassell, Federic Forrest, Marilu Henner, Dennis Hopper.
Directed by Dennis Hopper.

  • The whole movie was shifted to reflect an east-coast look, in part due to star Tom Berenger's suggestions. According Dan Rogers, Project Manager of the SC Film Office, the settings changed from Western locales the settings (going from Charleston to Virginia instead of Arizona to California) because director Dennis Hopper "said he had already made enough desert-based films."

  • Harold's Country Club Bar and Grill (U. S. Highway 17-A in Yemassee) -- popular with residents throughout the Lowcountry -- was a filming location for Chasers. Harold's is located within an old-fashioned rural service station.


Something to Talk About
(Released 1995; Date Filmed: November 1994 - January 1995)
Cast: Julia Roberts, Robert Duvall, Gena Rowlands, Kyra Sedgwick, Dennis Quaid
Directed by Lasse Hallstrom.
Spring Creek Productions/Warner Brothers

  • The working title for the film at the time of filming in Beaufort was The Kings of Carolina.
  • The front exterior of the University of South Carolina at Beaufort’s Performing Arts Center [801 Carteret Street, Downtown Beaufort) became part of the fictional college campus where the Julia Roberts character attended classes. This was the same filming site for the Gump Medical Center in Forrest Gump
  • One major segment of the movie was filmed in the interior of Michael Rainey Antiques, (702 Craven Street, Downtown Beaufort -- see photo). This small building, once attached to the Library, had served earlier as a meeting room for the cast and crew of Daughters of the Dust .

  • The Library’s downstairs meeting room (next door to Rainey’s Antiques) served as a "green room" for cast and crew waiting between film "takes". Spring Creek Productions' contribution to the Library in appreciation for its assistance was allocated to purchase video copies of films made in and about Beaufort County and viewing equipment.
  • The cast and crew of Something to Talk About used the parking lot of the Beaufort County Public Library (311 Scott Street, Downtown Beaufort) to place the mobile dressing room units of the movie's stars. The lot was closed to the public, although the Library remained open throughout the filming. Reporters from the national media made determined attempts to interview or videotape Julia Roberts, who was equally determined to avoid them. On her way to her dressing room trailer from the filming at the adjoining Michael Rainey Antiques building, Ms. Roberts would pass through the library building to "take cover" from the paparazzi waiting outside on the Craven Street - Scott Street intersection .
  • Gadsby’s Restaurant (now Ollie's Downtown Restaurant; 822 Bay Street, Downtown Beaufort) was the set for a restaurant scene in which several local residents appeared as "extras".
  • The "King Farm" scenes took place at Davant Plantation in Gillionsville, Jasper County
    (U. S. Highway 278 at S. C. Highway 462).
  • Many of the people most essential to the film stayed at the Beaufort Inn (809 Port Republic Street, Downtown Beaufort) and the apartment of Nancy and Bill Rhett (private residence) next to Plum's restaurant (904 1/2 Bay Street, Downtown Beaufort).

  • Other shoot location: Jasper County.

White Squall
(Released 1996; Date Filmed: 1995)
Cast: Jeff Bridges, Caroline Goodall, John Savage, Scott Wolf, Jeremy Sisto.
Directed by Ridley Scott.

Scott Free/Hollywood

Rhett House Inn, Beaufort
  • The Rhett House Inn (where Barbra Streisand stayed while scouting the area for The Prince of Tides) was another location for shooting. The inn is at 1009 Craven Street, Downtown Beaufort.
    Photograph by Dennis Adams
    (August 13, 2002)
 

 

  • Film crew briefly remade the Budget Print building (510 Carteret Street, Downtown Beaufort) into the movie’s bus terminal.
  • The churchyard of St. Helena’s Episcopal Church (501 Church Street, Downtown Beaufort) was a filming site for White Squall. The church is a Beaufort landmark, built in 1724.

  • Other film sites included: Murr’s Graphic and Printing (1012 Boundary Street, Downtown Beaufort), the Chocolate Tree (507 Carteret Street, Downtown Beaufort), and areas of Washington Street (Downtown Beaufort).

    White squall was filmed also in Charleston County.


Last Dance
(Released 1996; Date Filmed: 1995)
Cast: Sharon Stone, Rob Morrow, Randy Quaid, Peter Gallagher, Jack Thompson, Jayne Brook.
Directed by Bruce Beresford.
Touchstone Pictures

  • "The Castle" (411 Craven Street, Downtown Beaufort; private residence) was a site for filming several scenes. "The Castle"was built in the 1850s by Dr. Joseph Johnson and is the focus of one of Beaufort’s best-known ghost yarns, the tale of Gauche, the Huguenot dwarf . It was the primary filming location in Beaufort for the later movie, Forces of Nature.

 
"The Castle" with large live oak and gateway in foreground
"The Castle," 411 Craven Street, Beaufort
Photograph by Dennis Adams
(August 7, 2002)
  • Several scenes were filmed at Hunting Island State Park (U. S. Highway 21 South).
  • The unopened state prison facility in Ridgeland, Jasper County, was the location of the film’s prison scenes.

Last Dance was filmed also in Jasper and Clarendon Counties.


Gone Fishin'
(Released 1997; Date Filmed: 1996)
Cast: Joe Pesci, Danny Glover, Rosanna Arquette, Nick Brimble, Lynn Whitfield.
Direced by Christopher Cain.
Caravan Pictures/Hollywood Pictures/Buena Vista (Walt Disney Pictures)

Shoot locations: Beaufort and Jasper Counties.


G. I. Jane
(Released 1997; Date Filmed: 1996)
Cast: Demi Moore, Viggo Mortensen, Anne Bancroft, Jason Beghe.
Written and directed by Ridley Scott.

  • The only sequence filmed in Beaufort County was the scene where Demi Moore's character is treated harshly as a "prisoner of war" in a training exercise.

  • According to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot's Public Affairs Office, none of the movie was filmed on Parris Island. Nor were any beach scenes shot in this area.

G. I. Jane was filmed also in Charleston County.


Animals
(Released 1997; Date Filmed: April 1997)
Cast: Tim Roth, Mimi Avital, Lothaire Bluteau
Produced by Magnolia Mae, Inc.


Shoot locations: Edisto Island, Varnville, Beaufort County.


Forces of Nature
(Released March 19, 1999; Date Filmed: July 1998)

Cast: Sandra Bullock, Ben Affleck, Joe Don Baker, David Strickland,
Steve Zahn, Blythe Danner, Maura Tierney.
Directed by Bronwen Hughes
Dreamworks Studio

  • The main site for the filming of Forces of Nature was the historic house,"The Castle" (411 Craven Street, Downtown Beaufort; private residence), earlier a site for filming Last Dance. To enhance the color of the grass on the shady "Castle" lawn, the production crew sprayed a coat of green paint over the grass.
  • The parking lot of Carteret Street United Methodist Church (between Craven and King Streets) was clustered with Dreamworks Studio’s mobile units and a canteen tent throughout the production. The trailers also extended across Carteret Street to the end of Craven Street, where "The Castle" is located. Local residents would watch the golf cart shuttles that ran the area in hopes of spotting a celebrity from the movie.

Forces of Nature is actress Blythe Danner’s third production in Beaufort. Her previous films here were The Great Santini (1979) and The Prince of Tides (1991).

Other film sites for Forces of Nature included Savannah; Richmond, Virginia and Washington, D. C.


Rules of Engagement
(Released Early 2000; Date Filmed: February 1999)
Cast: Tommy Lee Jones, Samuel L. Jackson, Jim Delaney, Ben Kingsley, Blair
Underwood, Anne Archer, Amidou, Conrad Bachmann, Gordon Clapp,
Dale Dye, Bruce Greenwood, and Philip Baker Hall
Directed by William Friedkin
Paramount Pictures

  • "The movie," according to film critic Max Messier of filmcritic.com, "revolves around the trial of an accused Army officer (Samuel Jackson) trying to subdue an attack on the U. S. Embassy in Yemen, but who ends up quelling the dispute by having his men fire into the crowd of demonstrators. All evidence that would justify his actions becomes MIA, and he calls upon his friend and fellow comrade-in-arms, Tommy Lee Jones, to defend him." Some scenes "flash back" to the Vietnam War.

  • A casting call was held February 5-6, 1999 at the Holiday Inn of Beaufort (2001 Boundary Street), for extras to portray U. S. Marines and Vietnamese people. On the first day, over 200 persons auditioned for the movie.
  • The south end of Hunting Island State Park doubled for Quang Tri Province of Vietnam; the earlier sequences of the film deals with Marine Corps platoons during the Vietnam War.
  • Sgt. Chris Young, quoted by Marti Gatlin in The Beaufort Gazette, reported that he and about fifty other men who portrayed the film's Vietnam War-era Marines slept out on Hunting Island, "wore Marine uniforms (jungle fatigues) exactly like those worn in Vietnam, which presented problems because it was still cold, warm during the day but very cold at night. We carried gear like they did in 1968. They didn't let us shave or bathe, so we looked like we were in combat." Whenever it rained, the men tired to keep dry under shelters they made from their ponchos.
  • Dale Dye, a retired Marine captain who had worked with Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan (1998), trained the film's Marine extras on Hunting Island, day and night. He shared his own Vietnam War memories with his trainees, as well as songs written by veterans of that war. Capt. Dye was also military advisor for Forrest Gump.

  • The Yemen scenes -- thirty years later in the film's plot -- were filmed in Morocco.

The Legend of Bagger Vance
(
Released: 2000; Date filmed: December 1999)
Cast: Will Smith, Matt Damon Charlize Thron, Bruce McGill,
Joel Gretch, J. Michael Moncrief
Directed by Robert Redford
Wildwood/DreamWorks/20th Century Fox

  • Many of the film's golf scenes were filmed at the Colleton River Course in Bluffton.

 

VIDEO PRODUCTIONS
FILMED IN BEAUFORT COUNTY

 

  • ... And They Were Called Marines: A Few Good Women [Beaufort, SC: Sandbar Productions/Good-To-Go Video, 1996]. "Since 1918," wrote the video's producers, "American women have served as members of the Corps." Today "those expecting to earn the eagle, globe, and anchor will have to take up the challenge of boot camp at Parris Island, SC" (where this 50-minute production was filmed).

 

Women Marine in dress blue uniform, holding company flag

Women Marine at the Marine Corps
Recruit Depot, Parris Island
Photograph by courtesy of Good-To-Go Video

  • The Crucible: Making Marines for the 21st Century [Beaufort, SC: Sandbar Productions/Good-To-Go Video, 1998]. The prodcuers define "the Crucible" as "the critical culminating event occurring in the 11th week of Marine Corps boot camp ... 54 hours of trial ... with little sleep, less food, and over 40 miles of forced marches." It is a time "when the Marine Corps drives home the core values of honor, courage, and commitment." The 55-minute video was shot on location at the recruit depots at Parris Island, SC and San Diego, CA.

  • Fierce Pride in Country and Corps [Beaufort, SC: Sandbar Productions/Good-To-Go Video, 1997]. The United States Marine Corps Band was established in 1801, and the Marine Barracks, 8th & I, Washington, D. C. is now home to the band, the the Marine Drum & Bugle Corps, the Marine Corps Color Guard and the Marine Corps Silent Drill Platoon. Scenes include basic training at Parris Island, SC.
  • The Making of a Marine [Beaufort, SC: Sandbar Productions/Good-To-Go Video, 2000]. A 50-minute video of basic training from the "recruiting process to the unveiling of the Corps' newest Marines on graduation day," shot on location at the recruit training depots at Parris Island, SC and San Diego, CA.. Named Best-Mini-documentary by the Marine Corps Heritage Foundation.
  • The Spirit of Old Beaufort [Beaufort, SC: Sandbar Productions/Good-To-Go Video, 1995]. A tour of Beaufort's historical and natural landmarks in words and song. (Approximately 30 minutes).
Search the library's website
 
| Local History and Nature |
| Return to Home Page |
Website User Agreement |

Last Revised 2-23-07. Send comments on this web page to Webmaster.
Copyright © 2007, Beaufort County Library, SC
All Rights Reserved.
 
Beaufort County Seal. Click to go to County website
 
 
 
Beaufort County Library, 311 Scott Street, Beaufort, SC 29902 || Telephone: (843) 470-6504
Fax: (843) 470-6542