Friends sponsor Book Review Programs
Beaufort County Library has three Friends of the Library groups. Two of those groups offer book review sessions during January and February. Programs are open to the public.
In honor of the 300th Anniversary of the founding of Beaufort, the Friends of the Beaufort County Library is highlighting books on local history and people. For eight Mondays beginning January 10th and running through February 28th, Noon to 1 pm, authors and reviewers will share novels, memoirs, oral, and social histories with participants. Books Sandwiched In sessions will be held at a new location, the USCB Performing Arts Center, 801 Carteret Street. Doors open at 11:30 AM! Free, although donations (and new Friends) are always appreciated.
Books Sandwiched In 2011 - Beaufort
- Jan. 10th Doctor K: A Personal Memoir - 18 copies owned by SC LENDS
- Jan. 17th Canaan's Gate - 31 copies owned by SC LENDS
- Jan. 24th Black Yeomanry - 10 copies owned by SC LENDS
- Jan. 31st Against the Tide: One Woman's Political Struggle - 28 copies owned by SC LENDS
- Feb. 7th Triangular Pegs - 2 copies owned by SC LENDS
- Feb. 14th Remembering The Way It Was in Beaufort, Sheldon and the Sea Islands - 10 copies owned by SC LENDS
- Feb. 21st The Water is Wide - 60 copies owned by SC LENDS
- Feb. 28th Strom: The Complicated Personal & Political Life of Strom Thurmond 22 copies owned by SC LENDS
Similarly, the Friends of the Hilton Head Library sponsor Book Breaks. Book Break talks are given in the Community Room of the Hilton Head Branch Library from noon until 1 PM the last two Wednesdays of January and all four Wednesdays of February. Free to current Friends; non-members are asked to make a $3.00 donation.
Book Breaks 2011 - Hilton Head
- Jan. 19th The Nuclear Lion: What Every Citizen Should Know About Nuclear Power and Nuclear War
- Jan. 26th Northern Money, Southern Land: The Low Country Plantation Sketches of Chlotilde R. Martin, edited by Robert B. Cuthbert and Stephen G. Hoffius - 17 copies owned by SC LENDS
- Feb. 2nd The Four Things That Matter Most: A Book about Living
- Feb. 9th The Ponder Heart - 2 copies owned by SC LENDS
- Feb. 16th Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America - 15 copies owned by SC LENDS
- Feb. 23rd A Hope in the Unseen: An American Odyssey from the Inner City to the Ivy League
Don't forget that the various branches of the Beaufort County Library often sponsor book clubs, too.
If you prefer a more solitary reading experience, check out the suggestions and links on the Library's "Recommended Reading" web page, including those under "Local History Treasures brought to you by the Beaufort District Collection."
And, as always, the Children's and Reference staff of the Beaufort County Library stand ready to advise you about books and recordings likely to meet your needs and taste from our SC LENDS libraries or even through Interlibrary Loan. Contact your favorite branch library for assistance.