Anniversary of Devastating Fire of 1907

January 19, 1907 was a very important date for Beaufort. Read transcriptions of contemporary newspaper articles online about the consuming fire that burned down a good portion of the town. The fire was caused by three little boys who were sneakingly smoking cigarettes behind the Scheper's Barn on Bay Street. Come visit the Beaufort District Collection to learn more through our vertical file "Fires -- Fire of 1907."

If you're looking for a program to cheer your mid-winter doldrums, drop by for the first BDC sponsored "Local History 2010" program. Gerhard Spieler is sure to share lots of information about the 1907 fire during the course of his talk on the "History of Bay Street, 1711 - 2010" at the Library on Wed., Jan. 27th beginning at 1 pm. We'd love to see you.

About the Author

Grace Cordial has been responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Beaufort District Collection at the Beaufort County Library since 1999.  The Beaufort District Collection exists to acquire, preserve, maintain and make accessible a research collection of permanent value which records the history, culture, and environment of our part of the South Carolina lowcountry.  Besides the research room, Cordial manages the “Virtual BDC:” the BDC web pages, the Online Obituary Index, two digital collections, a new BDC.BCL Facebook page, and the Connections blog.  
 
Among her duties is to coordinate or present programs about local history, Gullah culture, and our coastal environment, including occasional instructional sessions about how to perform historical and/or genealogical research.